The cost of living is rising day by day in the UK. So, cutting costs in your household bills can help you to save money. Living cost is rising at the fastest pace in almost four decades, and it is expected that at the end of 2024, the average cost of living may rise to £705 a week.
So, you can understand that saving money is so important now than ever. If you follow a few tips then you can reduce household bills by hundreds of pounds each year.
Here, in this guide, we are going to put together some effective tips that can help reduce household bills.
8 surprising ways to cut household costs:
#1. Reducing phone and broadband bills:
There are many suppliers available in the market. So it will be better if you compare each supplier and what prices they offer to the customers.
Here are some tips that you can follow:
- Phone your supplier and ask for a better deal.
- Use can check various suppliers’ prices on the website and compare.
Now, get a contract with the supplier whose deal is matching your lifestyle and needs. If you need plenty of data each month then get a deal that offers higher data every month.
#2. Look for a cheaper mobile phone contract:
If your mobile phone contract is reaching its end, or you are opting for a new handset then you can follow these below tips:
- You need to analyze your mobile phone bill by using online tools and ensure you have the best contract option.
- You can negotiate with the phone suppliers.
- You can compare online to get the best option that suits your lifestyle.
#3. Reducing your water bill:
Reducing your water bill is another effective trick that you should look forward to saving money on household bills. The average water bill in England and Wales is presently about £419. Although you can’t switch to a different supplier you can still save money by following these tips.
- You can install a free water meter.
- Switch to showers instead of taking frequent baths
- You can install a water-efficient showerhead.
#4. Cheaper gas and energy bills:
Although changing utility or energy providers will not result in any savings, there are several programs that you can follow.
Low-income homes can receive a discount of £150 from the Warm Home discount program to help with energy costs. You can opt to get the benefits of this program. You have to write an application to the energy provider directly for the program. The authority accepts applications from October to March every year,
The UK government has also declared additional help with increasing bills that includes £400 towards bills.
But, the fastest way to save money on energy bills is by reducing the amount of energy you use.
#5, review your Council tax bills:
According to some research, it has been shown that around 400,000 households are lying in the Council tax bills incorrectly. So, you need to be sure that you are not overcharged; it is so important.
Evaluation of this fact will not take more than 10 minutes. Also, you can get a reimbursement and able to save hundreds of Pounds. You can also check if you are eligible for a Council tax rebate of up to 50%.
#6. Reduce transports costs:
Whether you drive yourself or use public transport, traveling costs play a major role in your monthly expenses. So, if you want to reduce your household bills to save money then reducing transport costs should be taken into consideration.
There are ways to cut the costs of your traveling:
- Buy more affordable fuel.
- Look for a cheaper car insurance
- You can book your train tickets in advance.
#7. Pay your bills on time:
There can be late payment fees that are eliminating your savings each month. So it is important to make sure that all the monthly bills you are paying on time. Here are a few tricks that you can follow:
- You can pay your monthly bills with direct debit
- You need to plan and keep a record of monthly bills.
- You need to talk to the creditors if you owe them money
#8. Save money on food and shopping:
No matter where you prefer to do your shopping, still, there are ways to save money.
- You must plan and make a list of your necessary things. You can make two lists rather. One is a “need” list and the other is a “want” list. You can’t cut anything from your need list instead cut the less important items from the want list.
- You can look for special offers and discounts; these can save a lot of money.
- You can swap big brands for more affordable options.
What is the 50/30/20 budget rule?
Ans: this rule is important when splitting your monthly income after tax into three different spending segments: 50% need, 30% want, and 20% savings. If you can maintain this spending practice all through your life then you can more easily put your money to the best use.
What is a 30-day rule?
Ans: The 30-day saving rule is simply putting off all impulsive buying and less essential purchases for the next 30 days. So, you can take another 30 days to think about whether the product is important to you or not. Instead of spending your money on things that you want, spend your money on the things that are essential to you.
If after 30 days, you still want to purchase that thing then do it.
Learning the tricks and tips on how to save money on household bills is easier but putting these tips to good use is even smarter. You work hard to earn a penny, so don’t let the hard work go to waste. Make your money last.
In this guide, we have enlisted 8 surprising ways to cut your household costs. You can follow the suggestions on what you may want to do with the hard-earned money to save.