If you are trying for getting a credit card in the United Kingdom, this article will guide you regarding all the details of getting a credit card.
This also includes how can you switch your credit card, what is Apr. on credit cards, and so on. Choosing the right credit card must meet your requirements. If you go on the wrong track, it may cost you more than your imagination.
Let’s discover the various important aspects of credit cards to avail the beneficial features.
How can I switch credit cards?
While switching the credit card you need to follow the below useful steps:
- You need to do some market research and you have to find out the credit card that suits you. You can compare the introductory rates, fees, promotional period length, and the standard APR applied after the promotional period.
- You need to check the eligibility criteria for getting the card. This will inform you which card you are more likely to be approved for.
- Try to improve your credit scores before applying for switching credit card.
- Then, make your application to the concerned company. You can make it online. Some of the providers will accept and grant it within a few minutes.
- The new credit card will reach your home address through post. You have to activate the card. For this, you have to follow the instructions provided on the card.
- To make a balance transfer you need to contact the provider.
- Now, you have to take decisions for the older credit card that you already have. You can take steps for closing the accessibility of the credit card. Otherwise, you can keep it open you.
What credit card should I get?
While you get to know that there is a chance that you may be approved by the provider. The next step is to consider the different features that you might need from a credit card. For instance:
- If you need a credit card to pay for things, you need a card that offers 0% interest on items for longer periods. This choice might be suitable for you.
- If you want a credit card to transfer balances. Then a credit card that offers an extended interest-free period on balance transfer will help you to manage. This type of credit card refers to a balance transfer credit card.
- If you want to get a credit card to improve your credit score. Then a credit builder card may help you. This card offers you a lower credit limit and a higher APR to inspire you to make the full monthly repayment. If you want to raise your credit rating you can surely opt for this one.
- You also need to check the APR of the provider. You need to check the APR at the time of your application and the APR that you will get if successful.
- You need to check the credit limits of the issuing authorities. The credit limit they offer you is based on your credit score and other factors. If you are not comfortable with the offer then you can switch to another provider.
- You must aware of the extra charge, processing charge, and so on of the providing authority. Many also charge you for buying currency or withdrawing from ATMs using a credit card. So, you must know all the terms and regulations.
What do you need to apply for a credit card in the UK?
The details that you need to provide for getting approved for a credit card are as follows:
- Your name, date of birth
- Your UK residential address
- Your gross income and employment status
- Your phone number and email address
- Any additional household income
- Any previous residential address from the past two years
- Your bank account number
- If you have any current credit card, details of the card
How to apply for getting a credit card?
There are several ways to apply for a credit card:
- Online: you need to fill in a form on the web. You may be sent some paperwork for signing. And you have to send it back in the post.
- Post: you may get a form provided by a bank offering the card. You need to fill up the paper form and send it back.
- You can directly get a form from the comparison site. These comparison sites show you several deals with form.
- In-branch: you can find someone who will help you to fill up the form. Usually, you will need to make an appointment with the in-branch executive.
By law, you will receive pre-contract credit information in a standard form. Also a credit agreement you will get to sign a- either on paper or electronically.
You must get all the details of key terms and risks. So, you can understand what you are going to take on. If you have any doubt regarding this you can ask the concerned authority.
What is Apr. on a credit card?
The APR (annual percentage rate) on a credit card is the total cost of its interest rate, including the fees that a cardholder pays as standard. It is the annual fee-the cost of borrowing money over a year.
All other charges such as missed repayments, or cash withdrawals are excluded from the APR.
How do credit cards work in the UK?
Credit cards allow you to pay for products and services up to a certain limit. It is also known as your credit limit. Each time you use to pay for your shopping you borrow from the card provider. Then, you have to repay the loaned amount in monthly installments to the provider.
Credit cards are issued by banks or other finance companies. There are various types of credit cards developed for different purposes. There are balance transfer credit cards that allow you to transfer debt on an existing card.
Purchase credit cards let you spread the cost of new spending over a few months. Reward credit cards allow you to earn cash back, and loyalty points on certain retailers. Travel credit cards don’t charge you for using the cards abroad.
Whereas, credit builder credit cards are designed for individuals with a low credit score.
What is a credit card money transfer?
A credit card money transfer is when transfer money using your credit card to any bank account for purchasing. You can transfer a fund using your credit card and pay it into your bank or building society account.
All the credit cards do not offer a money transfer facility. So, you must be careful to pick one smartly if it is your actual objective.
For this, you need to know the amount that you need to transfer, and the account number of the account number to whom you are transferring the fund. Also, include the sort code of the UK bank or building society account you want to transfer the money to.
Once the credit card providing authority confirms your request, your fund will be transferred to the account holder.
You may also ask:
What are the requirements for a credit card in the UK?
Ans: If you want to get a credit card in the UK, you must be over 18 and a permanent resident of the UK. You also need to earn a standard income over a certain amount. Once you have chosen the appropriate credit card for you, you need to check the eligibility criteria.
Can I get a credit card if I am new to the UK?
Ans: If you are new to the UK and you have no credit history, you can opt for a bad credit card or credit builder. These cards are designed for individuals in such positions. But, keep in mind that you need to meet the lender’s minimum eligibility criteria.
Which banks provide credit cards easily?
Ans: HDFC banks provide credit cards very easily. HDFC bank credit cards are 100% secure. They also provide instant ownership and activation.
While you are looking to take on a credit card, it is important to make sure that the terms of the credit card must meet your present circumstances. You should research the provider too.
If the lenders refuse you to provide the credit card, you can ask them the reasons why they have canceled your application. You can search for another option that perfectly suits you.